Co-Q 10 and low blood pressure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi,

I am thinking I would like to take Co Q 10. It seems like it has many health benefits but especially because I am an older mom who is going to TTC soon. I am wondering if it would be safe/good for me because my blood pressure tends to be on the low side. No one (I don't think) has ever said I have "low blood pressure" but they always do say it is on the low side. When I look up Co Q online I start to wonder if it would be safe for me.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

CoQ10, also called ubiquinone, is a co-enzyme utilized in the production of ATP in the body.  ATP is essential in energy creation and energy transfer in and between cells.  It is considered a conditionally essential nutrient, meaning that some bodies do not make enough for optimal function.  When taken as a supplement, CoQ10 can increase energy, and also replace a deficiency caused by certain pharmaceuticals (most commonly cholesterol-lowering statins) and health conditions.  While I can not comment on your health specifically, as you are not a patient of mine, I can say that I have seen few side effects in patients who take CoQ10.  Often, patients report feeling more energetic, particularly if they had a deficiency prior to starting supplementation.  While CoQ10 can lower blood pressure in those who have high blood pressure, I have not seen it decrease an already low blood pressure.  It can also decrease blood sugar levels, so if someone suffers from this issue, we begin supplementation carefully.  Of course, everyone's own unique physiology can respond to supplements in different ways, so please use your judgement and work with an ND or holistic MD as you TTC.  There are many more issues to address than just CoQ10, such as adrenal function (often to blame for low blood pressure) and other hormonal balance, general diet and exercise measures, and genetic issues that may run in your family. 

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

www.nurtureclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page