"toddler diarrhea" - real or more of a concern? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I have a 22 month old son. He eats a pretty balanced diet with a very healthy appetite. When he was 18 months, he started having a lot of diarrhea. He was cutting his final teeth so I attributed it to this. The diarrhea continued once the teeth were out. For a while, his poop would sometimes smell like moth balls. I looked around online and found that acidophilus sometimes helps, so I gave him some for a week or two. His poop doesn't smell odd anymore. But he still has poops that are more runny than solid. I would say at least 75% of his poops are mushy and sometimes liquidy, with only 25% of them being formed. When I look online, they talk about todler diarrhea and there being no concern or known reason for this. He is a happy, healthy little boy who sleeps well, is very active durring the day and has a healthy appetite. My dh says - he's fine and healthy, no need to make an issue of this. I keep thinking this can't be normal... Should we be a little concerned and make an appointment with a naturopath? We live in a rural area with no naturopath so I either have to book an appointment for him with our naturopath that works 3 hours away, or do a phone consult with her. So I don't usually make contact unless I feel it's necessary.

I'd appreciate any assurance that there is no need for concern, or it's worth looking into.

Thanks!

Renee

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Such a good question, and I understand your concern.  In my experience, diarrhea among toddlers is common, but generally a sign that something is unbalanced within their system.  Since you noticed a change with probiotics, that is a hint that his flora balance may be off.  However, there may be other issues as well such as food sensitivities.  I would suggest calling your naturopath and asking her whether it is something to be concerned about, since she knows your son's health history. 

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page