Unusual periods after miscarriage - is this normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a miscarriage back in february of this year. Since then I have had  what I would call weird periods, at least for me. I have a 2 yo son who is still nursing. Since I got my period back after my son's pregnancy they have been irregular as in the length varies quite a bit and they are almost always more than 28 days - but this is something that is common for me. However since I had the m/c back in feb they have been really weird. I had one at 28 days after the m/c and then the other two went longer but now I just got it again after only having had a period 2 weeks ago which seems odd to me as prior to this I have never in my life had a period that came early. Also my periods have been a day longer (6 total) then before and my periods always used to be 5 days. Also I have cramping for 2-3 days or more when before I only had cramps the first day. Also much heavier than they ever used to be with 3 days of fairly heavy bleeding when before it was usually just 1 day. Also there are lots of tiny chunks which may be clots and never used to see this before. Wondering if this is normal after a miscarriage or if its something to be concerned about. Thanks.

#2 of 2 Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so sorry for your pregnancy loss.  Your experience is common.  Sometimes, after a miscarriage, the lining of the uterus, called the endometrium, does not fully return to its old ways.  Yours is currently making more lining, and then you are shedding more during your menses.  There may be old blood that is not being shed properly with each cycle - this can produce clots or dark brown blood.  In addition, it sounds as though you may not be ovulating every cycle, or that your hormones are fluctuating as your body tries to regain balance.  I would suggest a visit to your midwife or OB, or ideally a naturopathic physician who specializes in women's health.  In addition, a few sessions of Arvigo Maya Abdominal Therapy would be very beneficial.  The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy include massage of the abdomen and back, which facilitates proper uterus position and proper circulation of blood and hormones.  With this type of therapy, I generally see menstrual cycles normalize.  It is very helpful after miscarriage.

To find a naturopathic physician:  www.naturopathic.org

To find a certified Arvigo Maya practitioner:  www.arvigotherapy.com

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page