8 yr old boy having bowel "accidents" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Jennifer,

My just turned 8 yr old boy has been having several "accidents" a day, soiling his underpants with just a little feces at a time.  It's not diarrhea, and it seems to come and go, some days he doesn't have any, then sometimes he'll have 5 or 6 accidents a day (like today).   Do you know what could be the cause of this?  Could there be something physically wrong, like weak anal sphincter muscles or something?  What could I do to help?  When he does have a BM, it's well formed.  He's never complained of being consipated.  (Our family is pretty healthy, we juice every day, and he has a fair amount of vegetables and whole grains in his diet)

A few things about his personality -  he is a happy bouncy child most of the time...loves being the center of attention, and chatters constantly.  One other thing he does struggle with is not being able to go to sleep on his own.  I have been with him every night, and he freaks out if I leave and he is not asleep yet.  He comes into my bed sometime in the night/early morning, and always wakes up next to me.

I'm not sure if this issue is psychological, or physical.....I read a book on homeopathic constitutional remedies, and thought that may help him, but so far I haven't diagnosed his type confidently....I think maybe Sulpher or Phosphorus, but I'm not trained enough to tell.

If you have any suggestions, that would be very helpful!

Alison

#2 of 2 Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is something I have seen with a handful of children in my practice.  The "answer" seems different for each child.  Some seem to improve after we test their food sensitivities and take them off foods that may be contributing.  Others seem to do well when we supplement with magnesium or other minerals.  Of course, there are definitely some psychological issues that can play a part - even not wanting to stop to go to the bathroom can cause problems in that the bowels then have trouble regulating.  If you can work with a licensed naturopathic physician to determine whether these are issues, that would be ideal.  There are also rare conditions that can cause this issue, so if it does not resolve, I recommend working with a physician to determine what is causing the fecal incontinence.

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page