Mothering Forum banner

hair loss after weaning?

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  iris777888 
#1 ·
Ever since my 5yo stopped nursing regularly about 6 months ago I have been experiencing hair loss. I have always had very thick hair but now it is thinning all over and it's becoming especially noticeable along my part line. I did not experience any major post-partum hair loss that I can recall (most certainly nothing like this). It's very disconcerting.

Is it possible that the hair loss is related to hormone fluctuation due to weaning? If so, how long might it last? What can be done to get it to stop?

I had my annual exam in September and the midwife rain a couple tests on my thyroid and iron and both came back fine. I'm not experiencing any other major/new symptoms, I'm in good health and my periods are regular. Should I be going back to the midwife for more tests to rule out other issues, such as nutritional deficiencies?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

#3 ·
Hair loss can certainly occur from hormone fluctuation, and may also be due to nutrition, stress, infection, or auto-immune condition. The following are tests I would consider:

Thyroid including TSH, free T3, free T4, antibodies (TPO, TSI)

ANA to look at possible auto-immune issues

ESR to measure inflammation

Ferritin for iron stores

My favorite nutrient test is Spectracell Micronutrient testing (I have no affiliation with the company other than I run their tests with my patients and find the results useful). You can ask your healthcare provider if they would be willing to order this test for you. If they do not have an account with Spectracell, perhaps they can open an account and run the test for you, or refer you to a practitioner who does have an account. You can find a Spectracell practitioner here:

http://www.spectracell.com/

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Have you made any personal diet changes? Gone on a weightloss diet? Cut any of the major food group out of your diet or drastically reduced them?
No to all of these, which is why it has been a bit perplexing. I did quit my full time job a few months before this started, so have made changes to my daily schedule and amount/types of exercise, but my diet, weight, etc are not much different than before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.