Detoxing after toxic event - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear Dr Karon-Flores,

Earlier today, I was in a kitchen (not at home, but in my studio building), when some plastic caught fire in the microwave. I opened it up and smoke came out. Initially I had trouble opening the window because of a tricky clip, and I was caught in the smoke for a little while before I had the sense to leave the building. I went back up later, and it still smelled strongly so I left again. However, I did have to return again, for several hours, by which time the smell was less in the space I had to be in.

My question is: what can I do at this point to try to detox my body from this event? I am not pregnant, nor trying to conceive a child (although I may at some point, so this is important), and thankfully I just weaned my toddler a few weeks ago. When this toxic event happened, I really had no symtoms that I could discern. No headache, no shortness of breath or sick stomach. What I did was to drink 2 cups of green tea and eat 750 units of vitamin C (not sure why, I just thought of these things for no reason).

Anyway, that is all, any help you could give would be most welcome!
thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry it's taken a while for me to respond - this post somehow got put in the spam folder.  Green tea and Vitamin C are great detox options, and generally available.  Eating a clean, healthy diet with lots of fresh organic fruits, veggies, and greens is excellent, along with good fiber like ground flax or chia seeds (1-2 Tablespoons per day), and organic proteins (grass-fed beef, turkey, chicken).  When I put patients on a "detox" diet, this is what they eat.  Juicing can be helpful as well, cilantro in particular in juice helps to pull toxins out of the body.  12 ounces of fresh juice a day is plenty.  When I have a chemical exposure, such as when I go to the dentist, I always take NAC afterwards.  NAC raises glutathione levels, which is part of liver detox.  500- 1200 mg per day is generally the dose I use for patients, and for myself.  Make sure to talk with your healthcare provider before taking this supplement if you are taking medications or have health conditions.

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page