Late Circumcision - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My son is now 4 1/2 and his foreskin still does not pull back. At his last well-check, our pediatrician suggested we see a urologist...so we did. She suggested circumcising him stating, among other things, that it would increase his risk of penial cancer if we left it as it is and it didn't loosen on its own. She also said we could wait until he turns 6 and, if it still hasn't loosened, then she would definitely suggest circumcision.

In the meantime, she had us putting an over-the-counter steroid cream on it for a couple of weeks, but she was adamant that we should not attempt to force the foreskin down.

We, of course, want to avoid a circumcision and I am writing to see if you might have any tips for loosening it?

Thank you!

#2 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM

Steroid cream should never be used on a child as young as yours it is for boys well into puberty or adults who cannot retract and are uncomfortable with it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmuse11 View Post

Hi,

My son is now 4 1/2 and his foreskin still does not pull back. At his last well-check, our pediatrician suggested we see a urologist...so we did. She suggested circumcising him stating, among other things, that it would increase his risk of penial cancer if we left it as it is and it didn't loosen on its own. She also said we could wait until he turns 6 and, if it still hasn't loosened, then she would definitely suggest circumcision.

In the meantime, she had us putting an over-the-counter steroid cream on it for a couple of weeks, but she was adamant that we should not attempt to force the foreskin down.

We, of course, want to avoid a circumcision and I am writing to see if you might have any tips for loosening it?

Thank you!

I'm totally not the expert but our ped said same thing about circumcising our son.   My comment back. 

" I have a daughter and I wouldn't give her a mastectomy at birth because she may develop breast cancer?  How is this any different?"  She said "Point taken" and it was never discussed again. 

I'm not sure how it applies to an older child but the risks of penile cancer are far smaller than breast cancer.  

Mama to a zoo!
#4 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 PM
ssh

The normal age for retraction is about 10 years old or later. Also steroids are for teens or adults with retraction problems. Your 4 year old is normal. No one should try to loosen his foreskin except himself. The doctors are unfamiliar with proper intact care. You might want to cross post in this http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/list/44/the-case-against-circumcision forum. The moms there are very informed.

sosurreal09 likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 05-17-2011, 03:20 AM

The more you let the pedi mess with your son's penis the higher the chance of damage/infection...then she will push to cut the foreskin.IMO,a doctor should not be messing around with the genitals unless there is an infection that needs treatment. My son is 9yo and no doctor has touched his penis.

I would recommend a new doctor or in the least as a parent you need to stand up for your child and say,"What you are doing/saying is wrong.".If you allow the pedi to continue you risk injury to your child.

#6 of 8 Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 AM

My son is 7 and is not retractable and it has not been a concern for us or our doctor.  Actually, our doctor (well even 2 of them since we moved and now have a new family dr) does not check for retraction. If the child is peeing w/o problem, then there is no issue.  I would not allow a doctor to touch my child's penis nor do I think it would be necessary for my son to retract for an exam. 

Jessica

sosurreal09 likes this.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#7 of 8 Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM

First, I apologize for the delay in responding. Getting here was quite an adventure! So now, about your son. The advice you got was antiquated and should be discarded as a misdiagnosis of your son. The AVERAGE age of foreskin retractability is 10.4 years, and your son is well within normal limits! No one should be worrying about whether or not your son's foreskin is retractable at his young age. The first person to retract your son's foreskin should be the boy himself! If the foreskin isn't retractile by puberty, the hormones that begin to soar through his body and the increased interest in the organ usually help to complete penile development. Putting steroid creams (hormones) on your son's penis at this early age is foolish--rather like putting the cream on the breast buds of a four-year-old girl because she hasn't developed yet. My suggestion to you is to go to www.nocirc.org/articles, and read the second, third, and fourth articles. Then, go to www.nocirc.org/publish and read NOCIRC's educational pamphlets 3, 4, 6, and 7. Once you've read this material, you'll know more than the two doctors who advised you poorly, and it's more information than most doctors get in medical school. You saved your son from circumcision initially, and now you have to keep on protecting him! I've given you the sources for the information that will prepare you to do so. Once you've educated yourself, please educate the doctors so that they don't inflict unnecessary circumcision on anyone's child in the future! It amazes me that parents are now having to educate the docs. Thanks for protecting your son initially and now for knowing enough to ask. One day, your son will thank you.

Ocean_Swimmer likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmuse11 View Post

Hi,

Thank you!

Unfortunately, your pediatrician is totally ignorant of the normal development of the foreskin. Your child with a non-retractile foreskin is normal and does NOT need a circumcision. The suggestion of penile cancer is absurd. You need a new ped.

Just leave his foreskin alone. It will loosen all by itself as he matures. 

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/info/retraction.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page