Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Marilyn Milos (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16912-marilyn-milos/)
-   -   Ballooning? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16912-marilyn-milos/1319048-ballooning.html)

CountryMommy 06-24-2011 09:56 AM

Hi

I have a 3yr old uncircumcised son, he has never had any issues being uncircumcised, we have never pulled back his forskin, just left it alone for cleaning, etc.
This morning, when he was urinating, He was spraying which has never happened before. I thought it was because he hadn't pulled his pants down all the way so I went to help him and noticed that his foreskin was ballooning. It really scared me but he didn't seem bothered by it. I called our doc and he has an appt today at 1:20 to make sure everything is ok. My son doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. He is acting normal but it's been an hour and it is still ballooned. He has peed since and the stream was normal. I've been reading online that this can be completely normal part of development or it can indicate a need to circumcision and that if this starts occurring often, he might get UTIs. I'm looking for any advise. My son has never had any problems with his penis before so we've never seen the doctor for anything penis related. I don't know how knowledgeable our doc is with the uncircumcised penis and just want to make sure we don't do anything unecessary or harmful.

A&A 06-24-2011 11:15 AM

sorry I didn't realize this wasn't in the Case Against Circumcision Forum. 

CountryMommy 06-25-2011 04:01 PM

Everything is fine. Doc was great and reassured us that it's normal. smile.gif

Marilyn Milos 08-18-2011 10:07 AM

Hello CountryMommy, 

Ballooning is a normal part of penile development in some boys. It simply lets you know that the foreskin and glans are in the process of separating. Once the opening becomes wider, the ballooning will cease. You can read a delightful story about this in our pamphlet number 3 at www.nocirc.org/publish. Just scroll down to the pamphlet. Also see pamphlet number 6, which discusses the dangers of forcibly retracting the foreskin.

Sometimes, a foreskin that has been retractile closes down, and I get more calls about this during the summer when young boys are swimming in highly chlorinated swimming pools. The chlorine kills bacteria on the skin and, on the foreskin, yeast often take over the blank space left behind on the tissue, causing itching and stinging with urination. Applying liquid Acidophilus culture to the foreskin six times a day for three days (during which time there should be no soap, shampoo, or bubbles in the bath and no swimming), usually returns the foreskin to health in three days. I call this Bacterial Replacement Therapy. Then, if the boy wants to continue to swim, a barrier cream, such as non-Petroleum jelly, should be applied to the foreskin prior to entering the pool and then wiped off after a shower when the boy is done swimming.

So, the first person to retract the foreskin of a boy should be the boy himself. Everyone else, hands off. And, finally, your son is normal, natural, whole, and intact (the latter has become the common term). No one calls girls "unclitoridectomized," and we need not call our intact boys "uncircumcised," making them feel abnormal. They're not! They are normal, natural, whole, and intact! You have a lucky son!