Help a nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.  I haven't posted on MDC in a while but I'm struggling at my job.  I'm a NICU RN in a unit that circ's.  In the almost 5 years there, I have seen a number of really serious complications occur.  Profuse bleeding being the most common though we recently had a partial amputation.  Yjese babies go through so much.  We spend so much time keeping them out of pain and watching for bleeding only to circ them!!!  I don't get it!

Fortunately, we are a fairly low circ area, but not low enough, in my unbiased opinion.

I need this job.  I cannot quit.  But I am having a crisis of conscience here.  Badly.

Any advice?  Thanks!

PS At least we did away with the labelled circ permit for every baby boy that was admitted to the unit.  That's small progress.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since you don't want to lose your job, it sounds to me like you're going to need to bloom where you're planted. Let's see what we can do to help you do just that. You didn't mention whether or not you are assisting with circumcisions. If you are, I suggest you take a conscientious objector stand to the practice and say that you cannot participate on moral and ethical grounds. Enlisting support from like-minded colleagues can help. When three Conscientious Objector Nurses at St. Vincent Hospital in Santa Fe, NM, wrote a note to the administrators and doctors, saying they could no longer in good conscious assist with circumcisions, they were joined by twenty more nurses who signed the letter before it was delivered. The ultimately got a Memo of Understanding saying they did not have to assist with circumcisions. You can speak with your supervisors about having parents see the 20-minute educational DVD, featuring Dr. Dean Edell, which you can watch at www.nocirc.org (it's on the home page) as part of ensuring "informed consent." I can send you a copy of the DVD to show your supervisors. Then, too, there are nurses who have confronted the issue at their work place without losing their job and I'll be happy to put you in touch with them. You can write to me at [email protected] or call me at 415-488-9883. You will be more valuable to the babies if you keep your job and educate others. And, never forget that you are correct. Circumcision is a harmful, non-therapeutic surgery that should not be performed on precious babies.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page