Transition from Co-Sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-21-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I was wondering if you had any advice or direction to resources for me to look up how to transition my daughter from co-sleeping to sleeping on her own?  She just turned 1 year (May 13th) and I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant with our second child.  We started using a co-sleeper and she now sleeps in the bed with my husband and myself, as well as napping in our bed during the day.  We have a crib in our room next to the bed which she naps in occasionally, but she has to be asleep for me to put her in it if she's going to stay down...

I don't think our bed is going to be big enough for very long, considering I'm growing and she's growing more restless! I really *love* sleeping with my child and don't really *want* to transition her, but I think it's going to be the best thing, if not the only option - and I'm at a loss for how to even start the process.  Any advice would be a great help!

Thank you!

#2 of 2 Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Many families put that bed into storage and use the mattress on the floor. This brings in a lot more snuggling and wiggling room, and eliminates worries about children falling out, as their numbers grow. It creates a fun and safe rumpus area too. You can add extra bedding alongside and your older baby can be as close as there's room for; close enough for you both to feel secure and connected. You can even slide your older, sleeping baby over onto "her bed" without waking her, and with barely waking yourself. If you don't want her moving back into the middle of the nest during the night, you can tell her to climb back in as soon as the sun comes in the window. Talk about it frequently, in happy ways and with playful demonstrations. She's old enough to understand this, with frequent reinforcement. Asking her to climb back in at a certain time, rather than asking her to stay out until a certain time, should be more effective. 

You might like some of the ideas in Elizabeth Pantley's "The No-Cry Sleep Solution."

Linda F. Palmer, DC
"The Baby Bond"
www.BabyReference.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page