Baby Wearing while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've heard it's OK, I've heard it's not OK, I've heard listen to your body. My OB/gyn really has no insight on this but I plan to ask my Perinatologist at our next appointment, not sure how much knowledge he'll have on baby wearing though.

I am most interested in baby wearing while pregnant in either a soft-structured-carrier (Ergo or Boba G2), or a Moby Wrap or Sleepy Wrap. Any information or advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated! 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#2 of 3 Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 PM

Yes, it's fine, if your body says it's fine. Imagine that you would carry your child in your arms when pregnant and probably not think twice about it. If it were uncomfortable at some stage, you'd stop. If it's not uncomfortable to use carrier/wrap/sling, and you are not having symptoms that give you cause to exercise caution, go for it. There are so many carrier options today. Usually, baby is transitioned from the front to the back at some point. You can have baby on back with wrap going around your chest in different ways and/or above and/or below your belly. I knew a mom who benefited from an elastic band under her belly to relieve back pain. She then found that with baby on back, a wrap under the belly pulled her belly up very nicely and relieved her back. Our bodies and pregnancies are all so different. You'll probably want to experiment with different carriers and your preferences will likely change as your inside baby gets bigger.

Linda F. Palmer, DC
"The Baby Bond"
www.BabyReference.com
#3 of 3 Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so very much for answering a question I really could not get a good answer to.

I will have to try and see if I can find something that is comfortable for me. I tried a front carry the other day in the Ergo and the lower strap put more pressure than I was comfortable with on my lower belly but I have a sneaking suspicion it would sit differently if I wore it on my back. I really love wearing my youngest and don't really want to give it up unless I have to. 

I will have to check with Sleepy Wrap and see if back carry is OK with them, I know Moby Wrap recommends against it and has for several months, if not longer. ETA: Just for what I know and how the wraps have fit on me, I am thinking a Wrap, even if worn in the front may be easier to adjust over/around the belly. I will have to experiment! I know I'm not the only one wondering about this. 

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page