10 month old waking and crying alot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

We co-sleep. This has been going on for months off and on. He will wake, I nurse him but he won't fall back asleep. Instead, he'll sit up and cry and cry and cry right next to me. Initially he wakes up crying then the nursing calms him a bit and then he starts again. Sometimes it will go on for an hour to 3 hours (not usually crying the whole time for 3). I've tried laying and rocking, patting, nursing, change diaper, get up and walk (though I don't like to do this because it's 3 am and I want to sleep and not start a habit). Sometimes these things work and other times he'll struggle against me to sit up again and cry some more. I've changed his diet and eliminated grains altogether for now as that seemed to be causing problems. He doesn't appear to be in pain and if he was in pain, wouldn't it be during the daytime as well?

I start him out in the crib at night and usually he'll wake crying 45 minutes later. During the day however, he'll take 1.5-3 hour naps in the crib...

So, my question is, what can I do about this? Any ideas on what it is caused from?

Thank you!

~Mama of a sweet baby boy 8/26/2010~

http://www.wildly-natural-skin-care.com
~Learn about naturally caring for your skin with the wild flair and passion of the green Earth~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Hmmm... is he full before he naps? Does he cough or spit-up? Does he have any rashes or diarrhea? My first impression is reflux. Reflux can cause burning pain in throat and occurs when laying down. Drinking some more milk will wash away the acid and relieve the pain for a short while, and nursing relieves pain in general, but that milk can then reflux and bring back the pain. It's curious that he can nap well but I see this in other cases. The grain removal effort is a good idea. Cow's milk is even a more likely culprit. I would recommend reading all labels and removing all whey, casein, butter, yogurt, cheese, etc. from your breastfeeding diet and his diet to see if the problem improves. If you already have observed a reaction to grains, then the dairy sensitivity is an even greater possibility.

Then there are the wild-card possibilities. Scan your sleeping situation for annoying buzzes, drips, barking, lights, etc. and think about aromas too. I worked with one mom where we finally discovered that her lovely lavender bedtime cream was greatly annoying her baby.

Linda F. Palmer, DC
"The Baby Bond"
www.BabyReference.com
#3 of 6 Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Linda. Yes, he is full before naps as I usually nurse him to sleep or almost asleep. He doesn't cough and very rarely spits up nowadays (though this was a concern earlier on). I've noticed rashes when I give him certain foods, like beets and egg yolks, so I removed those from his diet. Lately he has had some diarrhea and lots of bowel movements in general. I had a bug and then it went through him and he eats alot of beans. This was a few weeks back though.

Earlier on, I had eliminated all dairy from my diet and I think around 6 months I added it back in. Also have been giving him some cottage cheese and yogurt. So I better eliminate those foods again and see what happens. I suppose it's so curious to me if he's lactose intolerant because I am such a dairy person!

~Learn about naturally caring for your skin with the wild flair and passion of the green Earth~

#4 of 6 Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 PM

It does sound possible/probable that it's a food allergy situation, though maybe reflux isn't the problem per se.

It's a common term that people hear but I wish to correct you on the use of the term lactose intolerance, so that you'll be purveying the right information to others. Lactose is baby sugar, found only in mammal milks, and babies would not survive to pass on their genes if they could not digest lactose (until very recently).

The common intolerance/sensitivity/allergy in babies, as well as many adults, is to the proteins in foreign animal milks. Whey and casein are the key ingredients you'll want to avoid, while the fat and sugar products, cream and lactose, can be tainted with some trace proteins and also be problematic for those more highly sensitive. Sometimes there are products sold that say "non-dairy," while they're full of milk proteins. The term "dairy" often just refers to lactose. When buying probiotics to take, to help your child's intestines heal, don't settle for non-dairy. Find the ones that say "no milk."

As children approach 5 to 10 years, it's natural for them to lose the enzyme for digesting lactose: lactase enzyme. Losing the enzyme causes gas when consuming milk. It's a natural weaning mechanism. Adults are not meant to be able to digest the baby milk sugar lactose and most around the world cannot and thus must restrict their dairy intake, for comfort and odor's sake. You and I may be more familiar with adults of Northern European descent --- a genetic pool of people who developed persistence of lactase enzyme through millennia of drinking animal milks to survive cold Northern environments.

One more point about lactose: at times when a child's intestines are inflamed from an illness, a food reaction, or antibiotic use, production of lactase enzyme can temporarily decrease. Formula feeding moms may find partial improvement in symptoms when switching to lactose-free formula, but if milk protein allergies are the problem, then only part of the symptoms will reduce, chiefly the gas and some of the diarrhea, but pain, inflammation, malabsorption, rashes, green stools, reflux and irregular bowels can persist. Switching to a formula with no animal milk proteins in it will allow the return of lactase enzyme as well as eliminating all symptoms related to them.

I was once "such a dairy person" as well. It wasn't hard to avoid it though when I found such a night and day difference in my son, and when I COULD SLEEP because my son could sleep if I didn't consume animal milk, and some other foods that bothered him in my diet. After three years of total milk avoidance, I found the taste of milk to be quite gamey when trying to return to it. By that time I had done enough research on it that I didn't want a lot in my diet anyway. I do some cheese now and then but am quite happy and satisfied without much milk in my diet.

Linda F. Palmer, DC
"The Baby Bond"
www.BabyReference.com
#5 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I did some homework and see the difference. Absolutely- sleep is much better than dairy! I am more concerned with yogurt than anything but I will research it and find alternatives. Thanks again!

#6 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 PM

There are soy- and coconut-based alternative yogurts. I'm not big on the coconut because it has almost no protein but the fats are healthy and it's a good choice for those concerned about soy. Don't go for the goat at this point. Most young children who are sensitive to cow's milk will eventually become sensitive to goat as well. If looking for a cheese alternative, look for that marked "vegan."

Linda F. Palmer, DC
"The Baby Bond"
www.BabyReference.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page