baby with chronic green stool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello. Thank you for your time.

We have 4.5 month old twin boys.

My wife exclusively breast feeds on demand. At about 2 weeks of age one of the babies started to have frequent bright green stools. Sometimes dark green. Before that, the stools were yellowy.

After about a week or so of frequent green stools they became exclusively green stools.

They have been almost exclusively green since then, except for about 1 week, which ended in exclusively green stools again a week ago.

At first, there was definitely some formilk and hindmilk imbalance. As the let down was hard and he would choke and sputter and cry. Both babies found the let down a challenge. But the one could handle it and this one could not.

He also spit up A LOT and was always very gassy.

Dealing with foremilk and hindmilk issues was challenging with twins, as you can't really do block feeding the same. But what seemed to finally work, was my wife has just dedicated a breast for each twin and only feeds them on that breast.

But even though the milk slowed down and supply/demand evened out, the green stool did not end. Although the spitting up and gas lessened (but didn't eliminate).

All of a sudden, he started to have regular yellow stool and we rejoiced that things worked itself out. But after only several days, we are at a loss again to see that every stool again is green.

Sometimes it is bright green, but usually darker green.

Not sure if it is mucouscy or not, as we are not really sure what that looks like. But it is not a paste at all. Somewhat "slimey and stringy".

Could this be something in my wife's diet? Could it be an issue with his gut flora?

They were born by c-section, and we read that babies that do not travel through the birth canal do not get much needed bacteria in their gut from their mother.

Do some babies just naturally have green stool?

He is thriving. A little slower compared to his brother, but when looked at as an individual he is gaining at a great rate and meeting his milestones nicely.

He was 7lbs 6 oz at birth and 14 lbs at 4 months.

He nurses every 1-2.5 hours throughout the day. And wakes 2-3 times per night to nurse. Usually gives a 5-6 hour sleep during the night. He isn't much of a comfort nurser and nurses for about 10 minutes each session (efficient but slower than his very efficient brother)

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 2 Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It sounds as though you've had good advice on block feeding, but it doesn't seem to be the answer. Yes, c-sections reduce the early establishment of good flora. If mom takes ample probiotics, with a wide range of species (maybe multiple brands), she can pass more on to baby. Kisses and pacifier sharing with mom & dad are good too, if parent has a healthy mouth (not frequent decay). Sharing brother's flora (pacifiers are a good way again) may be good too -- he may have established some better bugs. It takes a long time to alter the flora much, so keep up the probiotics for a few months at least. When he's eating solids, you may wish to give him some directly as well. 

Yes, diet can be a factor. I'd try first eliminating all traces of cow's milk from mom's diet. If that doesn't help, or only partly, I'd try a more complete elimination diet, to see if it's the answer. I can provide you with more guidance on this, if you'd like. Does he have any rashes? Much gas?

It's great that all the milestones are reached well. Surely he's not experiencing adverse reactions to the prolonged green stools. Let me know what your status is now and I hope I can be of more help.

Linda F. Palmer, DC
"The Baby Bond"
www.BabyReference.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page