Extra vaccines for 3 year olds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Sears!

Ok, I have to say I'm a HUGE fan of the Dr Sears Family! Thanks for all the great info and support:)

Now, to get my question - My daughter, who is now almost 3 1/2, has never tolerated the vaccines very well (inconsolable crying, high fevers, hives, head to toe measles rash...) - I was so happy to finally "be finished" with vaccines for a while and my pediatrician informed me that now the guidelines have changed and they want 3 year olds to get an extra dose of one of the vaccines - I politely declined the "extra boost" of whatever vaccine she was talking about (sorry I can't remember which one). Is that true, have the guidelines changed? Did they really add more?

Also, I know when my daughter has her 4 year check up, she will have to undergo all the same vaccines as she did when she was a year old - any advice? Her 1 year vaccines were one of the worst as far as side effects...I dread the vaccines because of her reactions!

Stacey, wife to DH shine.gif, mom of DD (01/08) energy.gif and DD2 (05/12) dust.gif  1 furbaby dog2.gif and 7 angel babies angel1.gif. We goorganic.jpg familybed1.gif and drink lots of decaf green and herbal teapot2.GIF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 PM

The extra dose is probably the Prevnar 13, which is an expanded version of Prevnar 7. Too complicated to explain here, but I have info on it in the discussion section of my Dr. Bob Sears facebook page.  BUT, any child who reacts like your child has should strongly consider just stopping vaccines. That's what I do with such patients.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Dr Sears! I wish I had a pediatrician like you who was more understanding and open to the fact that the vaccine schedule can't be a "one size fits all" kind of thing. I agree with you 100%.

I frequently visit the Dr Sears website for info, but now I will join you on facebook as well:)

Stacey, wife to DH shine.gif, mom of DD (01/08) energy.gif and DD2 (05/12) dust.gif  1 furbaby dog2.gif and 7 angel babies angel1.gif. We goorganic.jpg familybed1.gif and drink lots of decaf green and herbal teapot2.GIF.

User Tag List