MCV - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 year old has had MCV (molluscum contagiosum virus) on her inner thigh for 4 months. We ignored it but as we approach swimming season, I am trying to treat primarily for cosmetic/social reasons. Our ped offered to remove them.

Instead, for a month I have been treating with overnight soaking of apple cider vinegar using cotton balls and bandages. I do that a couple of times a week. This helps with the large legions but new ones crop up after.

Any suggestions? I have avoided lancing myself but wonder if a dermatologist ablating all of them, large and small, would eliminate the virus. I feel the ACV gets at it piecemeal.

Absent a miracle cure, what would you suggest?

The Sears family books have been lifelines for me!!

Thank you.

edited to add: Why does the apple cider vinegar seem to work? Is vinegar an antiviral? I couldn't find any reputable scientific evidence for that on the web. If is not an antiviral, how does ACV seem to dissolve some of the larger MCV lesions?

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#2 of 5 Old 05-18-2011, 03:21 PM

Not sure how ACV works.  These typically keep cropping up for about 1 year.  Then the body starts to recognize it as foreign and will get rid of them most likely.  One natural treatment I've seen work is ZymaDerm (find it online).  But if the ACV is working, I'd stick with that.  I don't know any way to stop NEW ones from coming up though.

#3 of 5 Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well ... I just ordered the product you recommended, thank you.  The ACV is irritating her skin right now.  Perhaps the ACV "works" by opening up the pox through acidic content.  But it also seems to make her skin red.

So we'll see.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#4 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update.  

I ordered the Zymaderm which is a topical homeopathic.  It's not the reduced strength homeo remedy, it's full strength of tea tree oil, echinecea and some other items.  It does kill viruses, which I don't think the apple cider vinegar does.

I am glad I switched for two reasons.  first of all, the ACV was burning my daughter's skin.  It became swollen where we left the ACV soaked cotton balls over night.  Apparently, when you bandage up ACV it potentiates it and can harm the skin.  So, I would NOT recommend anyone trying this remedy.

We've tried the Zymaderm for two weeks now.  It doesn't irritate the skin, is painless and easy to apply.  You don't need to cover the area.  It does seem to reduce the spread and lessened some ones that were on their way out because they had already "popped."

Also, I realized that I have to remove the core on the bumps otherwise they just hang on, even with the zymaderm.  So right now, I remove, with flat tweezers, the bumps.  I just pluck them from above and you don't harm the surrounding skin AT ALL.  It pinches for your l.o. and bleeds heavily, but the next day ... it's healing and the bump is gone.  I feel that the Zymaderm is a great adjunct to this mechanical removal -- because it is a gentle virucidal agent.  

So, at this point, the rashy area in my daughter's groin is calming down, and we've got several spots that have disappeared.  I finally feel like we have a handle on this.  

I only remove one or two spots a day because my daughter requested we take it slow.  

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#5 of 5 Old 07-01-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

1 month later update .... All the bumps are GONE. The zymaderm you recommended was amazing. Half of the spots shrunk away with the zymaderm alone ... About half required plucking with a sterilized tweezer to expedite the elimination of the virus.

Zymaderm is gentle on the skin, which is still healing with small red spots where the bumps were. I am using weleda caledula lotion on them now.

Anyone is welcome to pm me for support if needed ...

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page