Dtap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-21-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im so glad your taking questions! I love all of your books & use your website all the time,you have some great information.I just want to say its so refreshing finding a Dr who uses both natural & conventional treatments.And talks openly about vaccines,its so rare to find that in a pediatrician.

I have a 6 month old son & a 5 year old daughter.My son is breastfeed & i plan on breastfeeding him until he is 2 than however long he wants to after that.Im also a stay at home mom. My daughter is partially vaccinated as an infant.She hasnt been vaccinated in about 4 years.My son has had no vaccines.My only concern with not having any vaccines for my son, is when my daughter starts school this year. My biggest worry is whooping cough.The disease & the vaccine scare me! So my first question is, through my research i have found the vaccine doesnt prevent transmission ,just lessens the severity of the disease ...is their any truth to this? Is the disease less sever in older children? And at what age would you say whooping cough wouldnt be a huge concern any more?  Iam so torn right now on this decision, so if you have any feedback,quidance it would be greatly appreciated.I have a good Dr they have respected & supported my choice not to vaccinate, but they really dont like to engage in the conversation.

I was thinking about getting the hib & pc at 18 months, so he will only need one shot of each correct?

#2 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM

You'd only need 1 HIB, but 2 PCs at that age.  The only way to need 1 PC is to wait until age 2 to get the one dose. As for DTaP, all fatalities from pertussis in the past several years occur in infants 3 months and younger, and before that we had some as old as 6 months, but it is never (almost) fatal past 6 months.  So I'd say that you don't need to fear the disease at your baby's current age.

#3 of 5 Old 05-23-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for answering my question. I read your book & u recommend the dtap shot to infants & toddlers.Seeing how its almost never fatal beyond 6 months puts my mind at ease a bit, but still worries me seeing how its still common & a nasty disease to go through correct? I wouldnt know but from what i have read its seems pretty scarey.I know the vax has a high chemical content & i question the effectiveness of it & its highly reactive... Ugh so im still in the same place so off to do more research,again i thank u for taking the time to answer my questions:)

#4 of 5 Old 05-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Yes, it isn't that fun to go through.  but it's somewhat unpredictable - can be mild or can be pretty tough

#5 of 5 Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

The other option is to vax my 5 year old before school,that is if the vax actually prevents transmission? Im not to sure it does, u can still carry the bacteria & pass it onto others even being vaxed for it....Shes had i think 3 when she was an infant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page