Vaccine Schedule Delay - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
#1 of 3 Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
s27dolphin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

  Our son is almost three.  We began your Alternative Vaccine Schedule for him from the beginning.  (Minis Heb A. Hep B, Chickenpox, & Flu shots).  When he was 1 year we were informed that all the vaccines he'd received had possibly been stored at an improper temperature, and they could only guarantee protection by offering to re-vaccinate.  I decided to stop getting him vaccines until I had a proper answer as to whether we really needed to redo all of them.  (Really didn't want to.)  After almost two years I finally have a solid answer from our physician who reviewed our situation and got 2nd and 3rd opions - we're not revaccinating!


 So now the schedule is completely thrown off. The last shots he received were Mumps & Polio at 12 months. Does he:


1) really need the 4th doses of Pc & HIB now? Can I just skip it?


2) Can I adjust the remainder of the schedule slightly?  For example, I really want him to get the Measles & Rubella shots, but if I continue with the scheduled time intervals, it would be over a year before he'd receive the Measles shot.  Can I do the DTaP after the Measles & Rubella shots? 


3) Should he still get the MMR  booster at 5 years? Or should I wait another year or so?


 Our doctor said I could proceed as I liked with the schedule, but I have not had a chance to ask him these specific questions yet. 


 Thank you so incredibly much. I am very grateful for your time!



s27dolphin is offline  
#2 of 3 Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 AM
DrBobSears's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The 4th PC dose is pretty important.  The 4th HIB isn't so much, since it's so rare.  You can't get separate Measles, Mumps, or Rubella anymore. You'd have to just go with the full MMR.  I'd wait until 4 years old for that, since in some states you only need one dose if you wait until 4 years.  Also, if you wait until 4 years to get that 4th DTaP dose, you don't need a 5th dose (usually done at 5 years).  Those are the only issues I see that are affected by this delay.  Also, with Polio, if you wait until 4 years to do the THIRD dose (if not done already), you don't need a 4th.  I agree with your decision to not re-vaccinate.

DrBobSears is offline  
#3 of 3 Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
s27dolphin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dr. Sears, thank you so very much!

s27dolphin is offline  

Quick Reply
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off