Question about titers - Mothering Forums
Bob Sears > Question about titers
Kristin0105's Avatar Kristin0105 10:01 PM 05-26-2011

Hi Dr. Sears,

Thank you so much for taking the time to participate in this forum. The Sear's Family series of books have been extremely beneficial to me in my journey as a parent.

My question is about titers. At my daughter's last check up at age 4, I asked her pediatrician about performing titers instead of just automatically giving her booster shots. His response was that titers would be useless because they would only tell me if she was immune now not if she would be immune in the future.

I disagree with him on the premise that there is no guarantee the booster will confer lifelong immunity. She will be 6 in a few months and has a checkup coming up. I know she is "due" for boosters for Polio, MMR, and Varicella. I am comfortable skipping the Varicella vaccine this time. Less so the polio and MMR. I would like to do a titer for MMR. Is a titer a reasonable option, or is my doctor correct?  If it's a reasonable option is there any information I can bring with me to help him understand why I am comfortable with the decision to use a titer.

Thank you in advance for your time.

DrBobSears's Avatar DrBobSears 09:57 PM 06-01-2011

I don't know of any info you could show him. but in my opinion, if you find good titer levels now (about 5 years after the first MMR dose, or even polio) then you can most likely rely them staying at a good level for at least another five years. it's no guarantee, but it's like enough to count on.

Up