Exclusively breastfed formed poop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why would an exclusively breastfed 9 week old have completely formed poop? About three weeks ago, our son stopped pooping daily, and as they've spaced further apart (now about once a week) have gone from liquid with seeds to a puree-like consistancy to a puree-like consistancy with some formed pieces to completely solid poops.

He's very fussy and cries with everyone except me - to the point of hysterics, and recently has stopped taking a bottle from his sitters (I work one day a week outside the home, so for 10 hours every Saturday, he's averaged only about two ounces). Other than that, he eats a lot and has plenty of wet diapers.

I'm concerned about this; should I be? Thanks so much for your help!

#2 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 AM

There's no harm in the baby going without much intake during the 10 hours you are away (other than being hungry/fussy). But as for the stools, I do see this happen sometimes in exclusively breastfed babies. It may be a cow's milk sensitivity through your diet. You could try going 100% casein free and see it that helps. You could also give the baby a probiotic once or twice daily. I don't have a specific brand that I like the best - any infant one should do.  Try that, and let me know.

#3 of 5 Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help! I'll definitely try and let you know how it goes!

#4 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Dr. Bob! Thanks, again, for taking the time to give me some advice on this one, and I just wanted to give you an update. I started cutting dairy out of my diet a week ago (though I'm sure some slipped through - I had no idea how prevalent casein was in foods!). And, it worked! Four days later, he started pooping again daily (actually twice each day), and they are back to a normal, breastfed consistancy. I didn't try the probiotic, but the dairy seemed to be the issue. Thanks so much!

Alyssa

#5 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Glad to hear. Mom's milk always "does a body good", but cow's milk - not so much. After things have been going well for a few weeks, you could sneak some yogurt and see if that's tolerable.  Cheese is often ok too.  Just go carefully and learn what your baby will tolerate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page