Continuing a vaccine schedule in a different country. - Mothering Forums

 
Thread Tools
#1 of 3 Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
 
mrskingred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Basque country
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear Dr. Bob,

 

My DS was vaccinated on a delayed basis, so that by the time he was 18 months and we had left the US, he had received the vaccines for Hib (4), Polio (3), and DTaP (4) given one at a time. When he was 4 and we moved to Spain, we resumed vaccinating. He has received (at different times), a polio booster (which had to be specially ordered), MMR (2) and Men C (1). At age 6 in Spain all  children receive the DTaP booster shot.

They have offered me the Hep B shots now, or I can wait until he is 13 which is the time they do the catch-up. I'm not sure about this one. My gut says he's not in a high-risk group but my DH and I both received out Hep B vaccines as adults. My husband was ill each time. I was fine, but have only ever received one shot. (7 years later my new employers insisted on titers before continuing the vaccination series and my titres were high, so I have had no more shots). What do you think - should we wait until he's 13? Is the risk of reaction higher in adolescents or adults than in younger children?

If I want him to be vaccinated for varicella, I can buy the vaccine now, OR if he gets to 10 without catching chickenpox naturally, they will automatically give him the varicella vaccine free of charge. On this one I'm inclined to wait until he's 10.

 

Looking at the Basque schedule they give me it seems the only shot he will have missed is BCG (given at 1 month here). They don't do Prevnar so I assume its not considered a problem here.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Alison

mrskingred is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 3 Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
 
DrBobSears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't view Hep B as much risk to children. This risk of catching hep B through accidental blood exposure from an injected person is very small.  So, I think it's fine to wait until he's 13. I don't know of any information that has looked at whether the shot is safer at any particular age. I agree with waiting on Cpox too.

DrBobSears is offline  
#3 of 3 Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
 
mrskingred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Basque country
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks

mrskingred is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 11,149

17 members and 11,132 guests
CricketVS , Deborah , Dovenoir , emmy526 , gizzypeach , hillymum , IsaFrench , jamesmorrow , kathymuggle , katyeb , Leelee3 , Michele123 , NaturallyKait , RollerCoasterMama , samaxtics , Skippy918 , tnmulkey
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.