Chronic constipation in 3 YO. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My daughter has been chronically constipated since she started solids. Just when I think its getting better in always comes back. I have tried many things. She poops about twice a week, but has gone as long as a week. I suspect she holds it in, but I also suspect diet. I have tried to go dairy free which did not help, not that we eat much dairy anyway. She doesnt drink milk, and gets a little yogurt or cheese here and there.

Here is what I have tried.

Medications: Lactulose and Milk of Magnesia. Occasionally suppositories. I will not try miralax.

Diet: Tried dairy free for a few months. She gets ground flax, dried fruits, and lots of fruit, like apples, grapes, etc. She does get enough fluids, I think. I give her 1 tsp inulin in a big drink to hold more water in her stool each day. She also gets probiotics.

I take her to the chiropractor about 4 times a year, for maintainance.

Sometimes a hot bath and a tummy massage helps, but its rare.

I also suspect the end of her colon is a little stretched out, because even when her BMs are soft, they are HUGE. Like adult size. I tried to fix this with the lactulose, but they were still huge even though they were softer.

So what can I do to get her to poop more regular? She has gone every other day in the past, for a month or so at a time and then the constipation comes back.

I am going gluten free as soon as all my wheat products run out.

I have crohn's disease and her problem is making me paranoid.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear Lydia:

I urge you. Do not wait until your wheat products run out.  Start Lilly on a gluten free diet right away.  Experts agree that starting a child gluten free does not have an adverse effect on their health.  You state that you have Crohn's Disease. You should also go gluten free.  Actual IgE mediated food allergies are inherited. Wheat is a huge allergan.  Recent studies have shown that exercised induced asthma is related to wheat allergy. 

Get a book.  Go to the health food store.  Even the major supermarkets are now labeling foods in their aisles as gluten free.  Stay away from all fast food.  Even McDonald's starts their french fries in a milk and wheat product.  Be careful when going to restaurants.  There is a lot of cross contamination.

It sounds like Lilly is a fortunate child who has a mother who feeds her  well and has developed a good appetite for delicious, healthy foods.  Start yourself and her gluten free and I am sure there will be huge gains for yourself and Lilly.

Toni M. Perrotto, DC

#3 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I am going gluten free for myself also. I am on remicade, and I get break through symptoms as I get closer to my infusion date, so I know I will flare if I come off my meds. I have been med free in the past, and I would like to help myself because medications have risks, and they also stop working. Its good to have a back up plan, and I am always trying to investigate possible ways to help myself. Thanks for the advice.

I am curious about how to shrink her colon back to a normal size. Should I keep her on stool softeners for awhile? Her doctor had her on lactulose, but it didnt do very much for her. MoM is kinda hit and miss. When I give it to her she can still go a few days without, and then its followed by a huge poopsplosion.

I live in an isolated community, and the doctors here are spead too thin. So any more input would be appreciated.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 09:05 AM

In order to achieve long term improvement, you have to shrink her colon for at least three months before backing off of treatments. If you've found a regimen that has worked in the past, but you didn't stay on it long enough, try that again.  Also, if you tried dairy free, but you weren't 100% CASEIN free (as in reading ingredients), you could try that again. I totally agree with the gluten free trial.  As for natural treatments, her is what I usually do.  Add these one by one, a new thing every 4 or 5 days, until you get a good result.  Probiotics, fiber powder (buy one that dissolves in liquid - Benefiber is decent), Aloe Juice (1/4 cup daily mixed in juice - George's is a good brand), Magnesium (about 100 to 200 mg daily) liquid - any brand, and there's a jelly called Fruit Eze (www.Fruit-eze.com) that can help (made from prunes, etc). I know this is tough to resolve.

#5 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBobSears View Post

In order to achieve long term improvement, you have to shrink her colon for at least three months before backing off of treatments. If you've found a regimen that has worked in the past, but you didn't stay on it long enough, try that again.  Also, if you tried dairy free, but you weren't 100% CASEIN free (as in reading ingredients), you could try that again. I totally agree with the gluten free trial.  As for natural treatments, her is what I usually do.  Add these one by one, a new thing every 4 or 5 days, until you get a good result.  Probiotics, fiber powder (buy one that dissolves in liquid - Benefiber is decent), Aloe Juice (1/4 cup daily mixed in juice - George's is a good brand), Magnesium (about 100 to 200 mg daily) liquid - any brand, and there's a jelly called Fruit Eze (www.Fruit-eze.com) that can help (made from prunes, etc). I know this is tough to resolve.

We were vegan for 8 months. I was pretty good about reading labels, and avoiding all dairy. I havent tried the aloe juice or magnesium liquid, unless milk of magnesia counts. If I were to use milk of magnesia for 3 months, would I still need the liquid magnesium?

Thanks for the reply.

PS I liked your vaccine book, and I found it useful even though I dont vax. (I ultimately stopped vaxing her at 4 mos because I am so autoimmune.)

#6 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Yes, it could be milk of magnesia.  Follow whatever does it says on there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page