Autism and Prenatal Vitamins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Sears,

I just stumbled across this post regarding an association between a mom taking prenatal vitamins in the 3 months previous to conception and the first month of pregnancy and how likely it is that her baby gets autism.  

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/13303/

I was wondering if you could weigh in on this topic, and perhaps explain what role you see vaccination playing in autism if this very early pregnancy (clearly pre-vax) association between genetics and maternal-fetal environment does play out.

Also, can you tell us when the Vaccine Book will be available through the AskDrSears.com website again?  I tried to link a friend and couldn't find it through the website.  

Thank you so much for your time, and I look forward to your responses!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#2 of 2 Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Vaccine Book has never been sold on AskDrSears.com - it's always been thru Amazon.  The Vaccine Book website is supposed to go back up soon, but I don't know when.

This looks like a good study. MANY studies have shown genetic risks and factors in autism.  I'd never seen a prenatal vitamin association, but this is interesting. It may be worthwhile to get on prenatals months prior to conceiving (like we already know being on folic acid helps).  I also believe getting vitamin D levels up prior to conceiving helps.

As for vaccines and autism, I'll have to table that discussion because it's so huge. I'll be writing about that in blogs (maybe here) and in future books.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page