Selective Vax for infant with Cystic Fibrosis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Sears!  My daughter was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis about a week ago, she is 5 weeks old.  Prior to the diagnosis we were planning on not vaccinating before 2 and maybe not even after that.  Now I'm completely torn and can't decide what's best for our baby, are there any vaccines that you think she MUST have or any that you think she could definitely do without?  Her Doc at Children's recommended the full round but it just makes me sick to think of putting all of that into her little body when she already has some things working against her.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Samantha, CO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I won't say whether or not you should definately get them, but I will say that you wouldn't need to do them all.  You'd want to focus on doing ones that could protect her from diseases that could be particularly bad for someone with CF.  In my mind, that would be whooping cough (DTaP vaccine), Rotavirus, pneumococcal disease (PC vaccine), and the flu.  If you were to do them, my selective vaccine schedule would be a way to spread them out.  I'd say that all the other vaccines would be less important.  I know if you ask the pulmonologist what vaccines she should get, he or she will say all of them.  But you could also ask which specific diseases pose a big threat to her due to the CF and start there.

User Tag List