Hi Bob =).
I have 2 kids one is 8,he had trouble with his vaccines yet got all of them as a baby,and was formula feed.My second child was breastfed two years,and I only have gave one HIB vax,and 2 dtap after age 3.I plan on doing another dtap shot.
My husband has 2 boys from a previous marriage both feed soy formula =( .They are here 2 days a week,and every other weekend.His two boys go to DAYCARE UGH. I can say for a fact I have gotten pretty sick from them bringing stuff home,same with my boy. My child got his first ear infection at the age of 4 after being around them,and I have even picked up a ear infection after moving in with my new husband.
My husbands younger boy has had major ear infections,to the point he has got tubes in his ears.
Love his kids but they are always snotty,coughing,and drinking milk like 1 gallon in less then 2 days.
I want to wait on the shots this time as well. I do plan on doing the dtap series,I don't think its fair for any baby to go through a cold or any type of coughing spells.So I don't want to take the pertussis risk.
I will be breastfeeding exclusive for 2 years. I would prefer to wait on hib,and prevnar. If I had the choice though,and had to I would do hib over the prevnar.
With his kids in daycare,and being sick all the time (I have even took many abx during my pregnancy due to there daycare bugs) What shots should my child get. I don't feel very good about prevnar,yet that is one I am not sure if I should just skip do to his kids,and daycare.
What vax schedule would you do for my child?
What shots do you think are recomended for my baby if I was a patient of yours?
What are the major risks of prevnar? I have a family history of seizures so this shot does worry me.
Please help a new mom Thank You Kindly
Hmmmm. This is a tough call. I can't really say what you should do here. Generally, I tell parents NOT to do more vaccines with a subsequent baby than they did with prior babies. But in your situation, this new baby has more risk. For someone who seems to prefer to at least delay vaccines, but is worried about the disease risk, you could consider my selective vaccine schedule (ch 18 of the book). You can also review the prevnar risks there in ch 2. If you were my patient, that would be my recommendation, with the added caveat that overall the disease risk to a new baby isn't high. It's fairly low, especially if breastfeeding, and I don't consider the decision to not vaccine as a dangerous decision by any means.
|52 members and 8,942 guests|
|abelitz , amma_mama , AshleyCor , bluefaery , cocoheart , Crimson8 , Deborah , emmy526 , EmsMom , Faerieshadow , farmermomma , FloridaBorn , healthy momma , joandsarah77 , kateaton , katelove , lilmissgiggles , LiLStar , mama24-7 , mamabear0314 , marmy , MDoc , MeepyCat , Milk8shake , MissMuffet , Mylie , mystiquesmom , Natalie12 , NaturallyKait , Piskito , Poddi , primalmom , rachieface , SandiMae , sarafl , Serafina33 , shantimama , sillysapling , skykauai , Snydley , sofreshsoclean , Soseraphina , Sphinxy , SplashingPuddle , Springshowers , thinkingmom , Tigerle , TrishWSU|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|