Vaccine Question for baby living in house with kids that go to Daycare. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Bob =).

I have 2 kids one is 8,he had trouble with his vaccines yet got all of them as a baby,and was formula feed.My second child was breastfed two years,and I only have gave one HIB vax,and 2 dtap after age 3.I plan on doing another dtap shot.

My husband has 2 boys from a previous marriage both feed soy formula =( .They are here 2 days a week,and every other weekend.His two boys go to DAYCARE UGH. I can say for a fact I have gotten pretty sick from them bringing stuff home,same with my boy. My child got his first ear infection at the age of 4 after being around them,and I have even picked up a ear infection after moving in with my new husband.

My husbands younger boy has had major ear infections,to the point he has got tubes in his ears.

Love his kids but they are always snotty,coughing,and drinking milk like 1 gallon in less then 2 days.

I want to wait on the shots this time as well. I do plan on doing the dtap series,I don't think its fair for any baby to go through a cold or any type of coughing spells.So I don't want to take the pertussis risk.

I will be breastfeeding exclusive for 2 years. I would prefer to wait on hib,and prevnar. If I had the choice though,and had to I would do hib over the prevnar.

With his kids in daycare,and being sick all the time (I have even took many abx during my pregnancy due to there daycare bugs) What shots should my child get. I don't feel very good about prevnar,yet that is one I am not sure if I should just skip do to his kids,and daycare.

What vax schedule would you do for my child?

What shots do you think are recomended for my baby if I was a patient of yours?

What are the major risks of prevnar? I have a family history of seizures so this shot does worry me.

Please help a new mom Thank You Kindly

#2 of 4 Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM

can you clarify, are you saying that you have a NEWBORN baby or will soon, and that's who you are asking about?  Or are you asking about your 3 year old?

#3 of 4 Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Haha.I will have a newborn baby at the end of September,I was just saying I am worried about my husbands kids bringing stuff home from Daycare,to the new baby.

#4 of 4 Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Hmmmm.  This is a tough call.  I can't really say what you should do here.  Generally, I tell parents NOT to do more vaccines with a subsequent baby than they did with prior babies.  But in your situation, this new baby has more risk.  For someone who seems to prefer to at least delay vaccines, but is worried about the disease risk, you could consider my selective vaccine schedule (ch 18 of the book).  You can also review the prevnar risks there in ch 2.  If you were my patient, that would be my recommendation, with the added caveat that overall the disease risk to a new baby isn't high.  It's fairly low, especially if breastfeeding, and I don't consider the decision to not vaccine as a dangerous decision by any means.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page