Small Babies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there ever a point that a baby who is otherwise seemingly healthy is just too small?  My daughter is 10.5 months old and is currently 14lbs 9oz (was closer to 15 or just under, but she was sick) and maybe around 27inches long.  She otherwise walks, crawls, laughs, sleeps well, "talks", nurses and eats, and is totally healthy.  Our first daughter hit 20 lbs around 9.5 months or so and was this weight at maybe 4 months.  The only issue this baby had was a seeming adversion to nursing especially while out for the first 4 months.  Since then, she nurses pretty well and doesn't spit up.  Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 06-20-2011, 03:54 PM

I generally don't worry about small babies if they've always been small.  At this point, she's on the bottom 1 percentile for weight. I don't think I could weigh in on what to do for this type of situation in this forum format.  I'll have to refer you to your doctor on this.

#3 of 4 Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.  It depends on what your definition of "always been small" is.  She was born at 8lbs 1oz and 21 inches, just like her older sister.  From there, however, her growth was very slow:

1 month 9lbs 4oz 21.5 in

2 months 10lbs 2oz 23 in

3 months 11lbs 5.5oz

4 months 12lbs 1oz 25 in

6 months 13lbs 5.5oz 25.75 in

9 months 14lbs 2oz 26.5 in

Her ped is pretty relaxed about it, she said at 6 months that we'd wait and see at 9 months, and at 9 months they said give it until 12 months.

#4 of 4 Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM

looks like a very gradual decline on the curve since birth. This is better than a sudden decline.  But I can't say what you should do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page