Vaccinate if genetically predisposed to Immune Disease? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear Dr. Sears,

Thank you for taking the time to read our question!  We have a 1 ½ year old who is a very healthy unvaccinated boy.  We have many reasons for not vaccinating and at this time plan to at least stall the vaccinations until 2.  My question for you I suppose is related to genetics.  Many family members on my side of the family have/had immune deficiency disorders, including: my father has a form of rheumatoid arthritis, my brother has food/ environmental allergies and asthma, my maternal uncle died with Multiple Sclerosis, and my paternal aunt has some form of immune compromise (the name of which I do not know).  Also, my son’s father had asthma as a child. 

I have read that children with a strong genetic possibility for immune deficiencies should not be vaccinated.  What is your professional opinion here?  If you agree, do you think we have any chance of finding a local pediatrician who would be willing to write us a medical exemption (for school, daycare, etc, although our son is not in either at this time.)

Thank you in advance—we greatly value your professional take on our situation.  I have followed your website since our son’s birth and read The Vaccine Book while pregnant. 

Laura

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 AM

I don't think there is more vaccine risk for a child with a family history of immune compromise.  However, I do think there's some risk with AUTOimmune disorders, and that seems to be what you are asking?  I don't think the risk is so high to completely stay away from vaccines, but I do feel that it increases the risk of having autoimmune reactions to vaccines.  So, you have to factor that into your decision. But there's no way to put any type of numerically accurate statistical risk here.

#3 of 3 Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response!  As you can tell, my medical terminology is not up to par.  Thanks again!  --Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page