Closed neural tube defects & risk of meningitis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-25-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello Dr. Sears,

Our 3 m/o daughter is being evaluated for closed neural tube defects / spina bifida occulta / tethered spinal cord, etc. due to a sacral dimple (shallow, fully closed skin) and hair tuft.  We were not planning on vaccinating her until later in childhood for only a few select vaccines.  If she ends up being diagnosed with any of the conditions associated with her symptoms, would you suggest we reconsider vaccinating her with any of the vaccines that help prevent meningitis?  Is her risk of meningitis higher than other children? 

In case the info is relevant, we also intend to have her kidneys re-examined.  There was significant enlargement in one kidney as well as renal pyelectasis (she also had a second soft marker - Echogenic intracardiac focus - but does not have any obvious signs of down syndrome, etc.; amniocentesis was not done) in utero, both of which resolved by early 3rd trimester.  I understand that kidney issues and NTDs can occur simultaneously during early development.

Thanks for your help!

“A woman in Birth is at once her most powerful, and most vulnerable. But any woman who has birthed unhindered understands that we are stronger than we know.” –Marcie Macari
#2 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The kidney issue doesn't apply to the vaccine decision, but I'm not sure about neural tube defects and risk of meningitis from one of the vaccine-preventable types.  It's an interesting question.  I don't ever remember learning this.  You could try searching for medical studies on the risk of meningitis in such kids.

#3 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought meningitis was only a risk with an open neural tube defect, because of the spine being exposed to the air before the surgery is done, in the case of mylomenengicile. So I wouldn't worry about it with a closed spina bifida.

#4 of 4 Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for your help!  The ultrasound came back normal so it looks like the sacral dimple and hair are just that, no other spinal involvement, so we can continue with our original vaccination decisions.

“A woman in Birth is at once her most powerful, and most vulnerable. But any woman who has birthed unhindered understands that we are stronger than we know.” –Marcie Macari

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page