MMR help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Bob,

I need some help/guidance in deciding on giving my 4 year old the MMR.

Here is his vaccine history to date.

2 months - PC/HIB/DTaP/Hep b/ Polio

Reaction - woke several hours later crying hard, gave some Tylenol, stop crying but was tired/sad looking. Seemed to be better the next day.

4 months - PC/HIB/DTaP/Heb B/Polio

Reaction - this time I pretreated with Tylenol, he slept for many hours afterwards, but when awake seemed OK.

6 months - DTaP

Reaction - pretreated with Tylenol and seemed to be OK

7 months - PC/HIB

Reaction - pretreated with Tylenol, but woke several hours later crying and fever, very uncomfortable, then gave Motrin and seemed to settle him for the night. Seemed better the next day.

15 months - HIB only

Reaction - pretreated with Motrin and seemed to be OK

17 months - PC only

Reaction - pretreated with Motrin and seemed to be OK

19 months DTaP

Reaction - pretreated with Motrin and seemed to be OK with exception of sore leg and limp. Got better in a few days.

He rarely is sick, mostly he gets a runny or stuffy nose and is better in a few days. But our visits to the doctors have been for allergic type reactions. One was for a spider/bug bite on his eyelid that swelled his whole eye shut (2 years old). Then a few months later he played with a caterpillar and broke out in a rash soon after. Then last year (3 years 4 months) he started with a runny nose on Tuesday with a slight fever. That continued the next day and he didn’t sleep well those few nights. Thursday morning he woke with no fever and seemed to be getting better. But that morning he started coughing a bit and I put Vick’s baby rub on his chest. Later that morning when he fell asleep, I noticed him breathing weird with a lot of belly movement. He woke when I tried to put him down and I noticed a cough that sounded weak. I took him to the doctors and his fever (101) was back and he was having chest retractions. They gave us a breathing treatment and sent us to the hospital cause she thought he had pneumonia. At the hospital he got an x-ray, iv antibiotics and breathing treatments every 3-4 hours. He was released the next day with a nebulizer and antibiotics. When we followed up on Monday, she said that he must have had an asthmatic reaction to something. He continued with cold symptoms for a few more days but got better.  On day 10 of the antibiotics (augmentin x strength - this is his first and only antibiotic he has been on) he developed a slight rash, on his belly down to his legs and even on the soles of his feet. The rash was gone the next day, but now I worry he may be allergic to penicillin. He had a few mild colds since then but no asthma attacks.  He doesn't have any delays or food allergies.  He's been stung several times and no allergic reactions from bees.

Does anything listed make you concerned about him getting the MMR?  If I am going to do it, I would really just like to get his vaccine now before the cold season starts again. Thanks for all your help Dr. Bob, you really have helped me in the past with him getting his vaccines. 

#2 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM

The MMR is a bit risky for those with active allergic problems, or those with moderate to severe chronic allergic problems.  Your situation isn't very clear cut.  I don't think that your child's problems seem bad enough to definately stay away from the MMR.  If you do it, make sure he hasn't been sick for a few weeks and there's been no significant allergic problems for a month.

#3 of 3 Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dr. Bob for taking the time to read and respond.  I really appreciate your book and all the time you spend answering questions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page