Kids Won't Grow! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have two little guys- 14 months and 3 years. Our 3 year old started off well on the growth curve, but gradually declined from the 10-25% for weight to below the growth charts at 3 years. At 1 year, he was just over 20lbs, and now at 3, he is not even 26lbs. He is EXTREMELY active (can't even sit for 5 minutes) and rarely eats. And by rarely, I mean his 1 year old brother eats twice what he eats in a day easily. Our 3 year old is super picky about food and only ever wants carbs (breads, crackers, sweets). He'll drink whole cow's milk, sometimes eats cheese, nuts, carrots, and some fruits, but rarely touches anything else. He is progressively becoming pickier each day. Could he have food allergies that he's not telling us he feels about? His stools are very inconsistent, and he refuses to ever admit when he's sick. He's also a vegetarian, so we're not sure if the lack of meat is not allowing for growth either.

As for our 1 year old, he too started off on his general curve, but around 6 months started falling off the chart. He eats much more than his big brother and LOVES protein. He is not a fan of any carb or dairy. He is also still nursing. Although he is active, he is nowhere near as active as his big brother. At 1 year he was just under 17 lbs. Could he also have food allergies (like when he avoid dairy & wheat products)? He also has chapped, rosy cheeks constantly and were wondering if that too was food related.

We feel like we're at our wit's end trying to bulk these guys up! I'm a petite woman, but never used to be. I too am finding it extremely difficult to put on weight, so not sure if all of us have the same thing going on? My weight loss started around the time I started developing a progressively worsening dairy allergy.

Thank you :)

#2 of 3 Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know I am not the expert, but all my children have followed a growth curve like this so I figure it is genetic. My 9 yr old is average in size now, but ended up only 18 pounds at 18 months after having been above the 50th percentile for much of his first year. None of my children grew from 1st birthday to 2nd. Now, my 22 month old is the same weight now as at 12 months. Since I have been through this with my other 4, I figure this is just normal for our family.

#3 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know that refusing food is a sign of food allergy to that particular food. Some people believe it is, but that's not certain. As for the growth patterns, that's hard for me to comment on without seeing them. Kids who aren't gaining weight very well and have unhealthy-seeming stools (runny, loose, or mucousy) may have food allergy, such as dairy or wheat. But I can't really say whether or not they are getting adequate nutrition over this forum setting.

As for the picky eating, I do have some great tips that I presented in an hour-long phone seminar recently.  You can listen or read it here:

http://www.happybabyfood.com/blog/videos - it's the picky eating teleconference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page