Dtap/Tdap and my soon to be 7yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-09-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr Sears,

As a baby, my older dd had one dtap at 2 months before I stopped vaccinating. I am trying to get her caught up for school now and I finding conflicting info about what to do for a child her age.

According to our state(nc), she isn't required to be vaccinated for Pertussis if she's over 7 to go to school, but I still want her to have some protection. After reading some(immunize.org), it looks like if she waits until 7, they recommend a singe dose of Tdap in the case of unvaccinated or partially vaccinated individuals. So I wanted to wait the 3 months out and get her that shot.  I discussed this some with our doc, but she recommended finishing the dtap series, so I went ahead and got dd the shot.

Now I am re-thinking all of this as I have read dtap isn't recommended over the age of 7. Dd will not be completing the series before her bday, so when she turns 7 should I just go ahead and do one tdap and be done? Would just doing this allow her to have enough protection from tetanus?

I plan to talk more with our doctor at our next appointment, but I wanted to throw it out here and see if you had any info on the subject.

Thanks!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#2 of 3 Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 PM

You can't get any more DTaP once she turns 7, and at that point and beyond you can only get ONE dose of Tdap.  So, the question is do you get a third DTaP right before she turns 7, then get the Tdap down the road?  That's a good plan - the three doses of DTaP actually provide all the tetanus she needs. The reason for so many DTaPs is that you need that many for pertussis. Tetanus only needs three doses.  In this scenario, I would actually delay the Tdap until it's officially indicated age of 11.  this won't be great pertussis protection, and if that worries you you could always get the Tdap early, but I'd put at least 6 months between that third DTaP and the Tdap

#3 of 3 Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Dr. Sears for helping me make sense of this. I think that sounds like a great plan.  

Take care!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page