What is really unsafe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello--I am hoping that you can clear up some things that I have read.

I have read that non-organic cotton was harmful for infants/children (causing things from skin irritations to cancer) due to the pesticides, formaldehyde, dyes, etc.  Is this true?

I have also read that furniture and entertainment centers can also cause everything from learning disabilities, ADD, autism, kidney problems, cancer, and on and on.  Articles state this is due to flame retardants and other chemical sprays, benzene, cadmium, chromium, formaldehyde, heavy metals, volatile organic compounds, etc. found in the material, wood, particle board, etc.  Is this true?  

I'm about ready to dress my infant in fig leaves and go find a cave to live in...

Thank you for the help!
Heather

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Well, this is true. Our society has many toxins. But that's not to say that exposure to these things WILL cause harm. It's just that they may contribute to the many sources of toxicity. So, it comes down to how careful do you want to be? I discuss alot of these types of issues in my HappyBaby: the organic guide to baby's first 24 months book. I do feel that's it's worthwhile going green, but start with baby steps and bit by bit you clean up your family's life.

#3 of 4 Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Hi there. Thank you for the chance to ask a question about toxicity. I am wondering what the current medical opinions are on the synergistic effects of every day chemical exposure? Definition of synergy: a construct or collection of different elements working together to produce results not obtainable by any of the elements alone.

I believe in the healing potential of prayer- personally. So I would second not becoming despondant over these things (the lack of common sense being employed by the FDA for example). Thank the maker, for what little indigenous wisdom has managed to seep through the pores of our current paradigm.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#4 of 4 Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 PM

there is probably very little research on chemical synergistic effects.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page