Induction tomorrow- PLEASE ADVISE IF ABLE TONIGHT- thanks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 30 yr old sister is not sure of her dates as she had only one period in August after baby number one. The ultrasound at 19 weeks has put her at 15 days overdue tomorrow. She will be given cervidal tampon for induction.

Her pregnancy was complicated at 28 weeks by heavy vaginal bleeding that they theorize was caused by sex and cervical blood vessel bursting. Placenta previa was ruled out and she had no further bleeding. Was given steriod shot at the time in case emergency delivery needed.

When I look up the product insert online it talks about an increased risk for disseminated intravascular coagulation with the drug if mom is over 30, is more than 40 weeks gestation and has had complications in pregnancy.

Her last two stress-tests and ultrasounds have been great. Baby moving normally.

She is very stressed and does not want this induction. Her first baby was born at 41 weeks with no complications (except asymptomatic true knot in cord)  and she doesn't want to hazard potential complications of being induced.

She also feels that it makes more sense for conception to be moved back one week due to sexual activity etc during this time period but she states it is just a feeling.

With this info, if she was your patient, what would your opinion be?

Thanks!!!

#2 of 13 Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 PM

it's just not appropriate for me to give medical advice in such a specific case.  I don't have any experience with the Cervidal.  I will say, though, that I'm not a fan of pitocin for induction or augmentation of labor.  I understand that it's a dilemma deciding to induce or go more natural and wait it out longer.  But I have to recommend that you follow your OB's advice on this.

Ammaarah and Munchkinmaker like this.
#3 of 13 Old 07-13-2011, 05:08 PM

...well then what are you on here for?  Seriously...  You're just afraid of liability like any other doctor.  Instead of doing what's best for mothers, you're worried about giving medical advice to someone asking for it... and you're a doctor.... Or a coward.  One of the two.

Hunter Zen Watson 12/17/09
and
Jordan Christine Watson 09/13/11

#4 of 13 Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 PM

This isn't even worth responding too, but I will for the benefit of the others on this forum. It's nothing to do with liability. It has everything to do with the fact that it is completely irresponsible for any doctor to give medical advice on life and death decisions without performing a detailed history and physical examination. So, anytime someone asks me to give my opinion in an area that crosses this line, I have to decline. I'm shocked (or maybe I shouldn't be?) at your response, tone, and unrealistic expectation that I would actually render a medical opinion as to whether or not someone should undergo labor induction ON AN INTERNET FORUM.  Seriously?

#5 of 13 Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBobSears View Post

it's just not appropriate for me to give medical advice in such a specific case.  I don't have any experience with the Cervidal.  I will say, though, that I'm not a fan of pitocin for induction or augmentation of labor.  I understand that it's a dilemma deciding to induce or go more natural and wait it out longer.  But I have to recommend that you follow your OB's advice on this.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!! I knew it really wasn't an appropriate question to ask online as the situation is too complex and potentially too dangerous to give an adequate response to on an open forum but I appreciate whatever you can contribute.

I am happy to say things are going well with the induction :)

#6 of 13 Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM

not to mention... dr. sears is a pediatrician, NOT an OB GYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBobSears View Post

This isn't even worth responding too, but I will for the benefit of the others on this forum. It's nothing to do with liability. It has everything to do with the fact that it is completely irresponsible for any doctor to give medical advice on life and death decisions without performing a detailed history and physical examination. So, anytime someone asks me to give my opinion in an area that crosses this line, I have to decline. I'm shocked (or maybe I shouldn't be?) at your response, tone, and unrealistic expectation that I would actually render a medical opinion as to whether or not someone should undergo labor induction ON AN INTERNET FORUM.  Seriously?

Alenushka likes this.

#7 of 13 Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinekristine View Post

not to mention... dr. sears is a pediatrician, NOT an OB GYN.

Yes that! Dr. Sears thanks for giving your honest opinion and not speaking out your butt.  It takes a good doctor/person to admit that they do not know or have enough information.  Thanks!  I am sorry you were attacked and treated rudely. 

Alenushka and Ammaarah like this.
#8 of 13 Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dr Sears did what any ethical healthcare provider must do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurensFaire View Post

...well then what are you on here for?  Seriously...  You're just afraid of liability like any other doctor.  Instead of doing what's best for mothers, you're worried about giving medical advice to someone asking for it... and you're a doctor.... Or a coward.  One of the two.

#9 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:

I know others have already responded, but I was pretty shocked at this response! Dr. Sears did what any ethical HCP would do- how in the world would it be responsible for him to give a medical recommendation based upon a post by the patient's sister?!?!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#10 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Thanks for breaking out the cluebat of righteous indignation, Dr. Sears!  

thumb.gif

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#11 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Damn Dr. Bob, I'm pretty impressed with your response.

Ammaarah likes this.
#12 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm locking this now.

Please familiarize yourselves with the guidelines of this forum which state that the only conversation to happen on these threads is between the original poster and the expert.

Lauren'sFaire, I see you are new to our forums. Please read our User Agreement and Terms of Service. You can find the links in my signature. You agreed to adhere to those standards when you registered here and failure to do so will likely end with the removal of your account.  

Thank you. 

#13 of 13 Old 07-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Quote:

LaurensFaire, your post is an attack. Please review our user agreement and abide by it so that you may continue as a member of the Mothering community.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page