Mothering Forum banner

concern about chemicals in dental fillings

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DrBobSears 
#1 ·
Dear Dr. Sears,

My newly 7 year old daughter has to have teeth pulled and multiple fillings. I know enough not to get the mercury based fillings, but even the alternatives contain very scary ingredients without even including the BPA. After the lenthy process of getting detailed ingredient lists from the companies (on top of the MSDS sheets), I am still unable to determine which is the least toxic option. Would you suggest going with a product that contains barium (in the form of barium aluminoborosilicate, and I understand that barium is a heavy metal) or one that does not have barium but does have formaldehyde? Both seem to have the BPA, aluminum, toluene, creosol and other really scary ingredients, and one of the options even contains naptha/ napthalene. I don't think 99.99% of the world knows what is really in these things. I have to make a decision. It involves putting things in my child's mouth that I avoid in her food, bedding, toys, etc. I am scared and I don't know what to do. Can you please help?

Sincerely,

Sharon

#2 ·
I'm so sorry someone else is dealing w/this... I talk to so many moms dealing with this these days (usually their middle - youngest kiddos, around 6 years & younger)... sure makes one wonder WHAT is going on... how can so many children hve such dental issues... perhaps water fluoridation isn't the wonderful thing they claim it to be... if it were, there wouldn't be so many kids w/dental issues so young... breastfed babies, who do NOT get juice, sweets, junk food, bottles, etc. INSANE!!

I am curious about this too...

#3 ·
I used to think that the white porceline fillings were the best choice, but then I heard from a natural dentist who said that the composite fillings were probably the best choice. I will admit that I have not researched this issue, so I cannot give you an informed opinion on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.