Mom with Gestational Diabetes,Baby with low blood sugar.Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have not had baby yet. I have Gestational Diabetes. I am worried that I will have a C section,and my milk will come in later,or my baby will have low blood sugar or be jaundaced.

Now I am all for breastfeeding bfed my second child for 2 years. I need to know what do I do if the nurses say your child needs formula to get the blood sugar up? Please tell me there is a way out of it....I do not want to formula feed.I think it is very importaint to start on the right foot,and breastfeed. This has me stressed out.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

some hospitals are now allowing moms to breastfeed and hope the colostrum brings the blood sugar up.  I think that's the best thing to try at first.  But if the sugar gets low and the nurses want to supplement and the nursing isn't working, then I don't know that there's an alternative to supplementing.  I don't like supplementing, and I do everything I can to avoid it. I would say that the best way to avoid someone "making" you supplement is to find a pediatrician that is supportive of that. Then if the sugar gets low, the nurses can call that doctor for advice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page