Teething and fever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Sears,

My little one has been having a intermittent low grade fever for a few days (mostly in the 99 range but did go up to 100.1 two seperate times). At the last two year well visit about a month ago we were told the two year molars weren't in yet. Fever hasn't been an issue (except for one particular time that comes to mind when it may have been due to teething but I'm not fully sure) in the past with teething. I've been reading differing thoughts about it. I read that some doctors feel that teething does not cause a fever and that a fever is only caused by an infection yet I have always thought and have been told that it can occur. I'm confused and would really appreciate your opinion. How long does a teething related fever usually last and is it common to go up and down? If a baby does experience fever with teething, does it most often happen just about every time or could it be sporadic? Could a viral infection only cause a fever as the symptom? One last question (sorry). How long should a baby be fever free before getting vaccinated?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I really appreciate your time.

Regards,

Claire

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The fever can go up and down, be sporadic or not, with teething.  There's no predictable pattern that I've seen. It could come and go for weeks.  It's hard for me to know if your particular child's fever is ok or not.  But I do believe teething can cause fever.

i like to see kids fever free for a week before vaccines.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page