Food intolerance... what to do at this point - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background... dd was born Feb. 2002.  She was exclusively breastfed for almost a year.  At about 3 months of age, she started getting horrible eczema on her face and I went through an elimination diet that resolved these issues.  When she started getting interested in solids at about 1 year old, she immediately had problems with dairy (of any animal, including goat and sheep) and processed foods.  We radically changed our diets and have happily avoided (for the most part) processed food.  She weaned on her own as she approached 4 years of age and we slowly reintroduced dairy, including organic cow's milk.  She did not seem to have a problem with it at that time.  She had a very, very (by US standards) healthy diet and continues to this day to have a healthy diet.  She is average height and weight.

However, it's still very difficult to completely eliminate all processed foods.  I read the labels and go with foods that have only "real" foods as the ingredients and processed foods must still be "all natural".  One area we have trouble in is crackers.  I made our crackers for a while, but I am just too busy to put that on my "to do" list anymore.  I make 95% of our food from scratch and raise a nice garden each year.  I preserve our overage by canning and dehydrating and shop mostly at local farmer's markets for produce in-season.  I do allow the occasional Dairy Queen ice cream and at birthday parties, it's a free-for-all ( on these special occasions, I let her eat whatever is served... this happens only a handful of times each year).  Our daily diets are heavy on fresh fruit and veg, a meat every day, and some dairy.   My daughter also doesn't eat fast food (none of us do).

Still, she scratches, scratches, scratches at night.  We use an eczema cream (OTC Aveeno) twice a day, but she still wakes up in the morning itching.  We use topical steroids (Hydrocortizone) once or twice a week, but I am cautious about doing so.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions of things we can think about to help this situation.    We've tried controlling the issue mostly with diet, but we still have issues.  Dd had the same pediatrician for her first 7 years, but the doctor is older and didn't seem to be "up" on current treatment of food intolerance and eczema issues.  She was also adamantly opposed to alternative medicine.  Dd's last pediatrician moved, and now we are on a 3rd who has about as much medical history of her issue as I've given here.  No solutions seem to be forthcoming.    I'd appreciate information to read about this.  Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would start with food and environmental allergy testing, either blood or skin testing. that may or may not give you answeres to work with.

Also, from reading your note it looks like she is back on dairy since age four?  How do you know that's not the problem?  It might be.  Or gluten.  Either get some testing or try eliminating those again.  That's where I'd start.  Let me know.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page