To Vaccinate or Not To Vaccinate...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-21-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 5.5 and has never been vaxed.  Are there any vaccinations that you feel are neccessary? If so, which ones?

Tetnus is on my mind right now.  Last week my daughter got a small wound on her hand in the back yard. My mother and grandparents are very concerned over our decision not to vaccinate. We are under fire by our family and actually have made an appointment to get our daughter a tetanus shot on Friday..... how easily can one actually get this, and are there any that we should consider getting?  our families are making us second guess ourselves........   Any thoughts?     she is so bright and has been the healthiest kid around  (we believe this is partly due to never having had a shot)))))) thank you, Dana Riggs            (((     we cancelled the tet shot and did NOT get it     :)   ))))

Still unvaccinated!!!!!!

#2 of 3 Old 07-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Hoping this article will be helpful in making your choice...

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/health/boostershots.htm

#3 of 3 Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM

i can't lay out all the info you'd need for this decision, but my general advice to unvaxed school age kids (or their parents, rather) is that vaccines at this point aren't that necessary. Fatal cases of diseases at this age and older is VERY rare.  Most fatalities occur during infancy.  So, if you skipped vaccines back then, there isn't much point to doing them NOW. BUT, this advice is only based on considering what vaccines are important for her as an individual. If you consider the public health, and the need to keep these diseases at low levels, then there's a good argument that many vaccines would be important from this standpoint.

But I find that many parents in your position are mainly considering vaccines based on disease risk for their own child. (?). If that's the case, then I'd say no vaccine is really necessary now since there's very little risk of a serious disease or fatality, even from tetanus.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page