16 Month Old diagnosed with Anemia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear Dr. Sears,

My 16 month old son recently had a hemogloben test, the result came back that he is anemic. His Hemogloben was 9.6. While I understand that is not extremely low I do have some concerns. Though very healthy my son has been very slow to start solid food. He was actually just about a year old when he got the hang of eating, but he is VERY finicky about what and when he eats (some days he eats lots, others nearly nothing). I cannot predict what he will like one day and turn away the next. Because of this we have relied on his nursing to make up for the lack. But my understanding is that while iron is more readily absorbed in breastmilk at this point in time it is probably not enough.

His doctor has perscribed Ferrous Sulfate in a dose of 1.67ml twice daily. I want to do the best thing for him but I am concerned about this supplement being too hard on his system. I wonder can I achieve the same results by just feeding more iron rich foods? What do you reccomend? And is there a way to enrich my milk so that he can be boosted through nursing as well???

Thank you,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

not sure if enriching your milk will help.  Yes, you can boost iron foods, but in my experience that typically isn't enuf if he's a picky eater.  I do Rx such drops in my practice in this type of situation.  They can be constipating, and you can control that thru diet.  I don't see any harm in doing the drops.

User Tag List