Do you know of any Scientific studies that look at whether extended co-sleeping causes dependency issues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there Dr. Bob

I am not sure if this is one of your areas of expertise or not, but since you are a doctor that I trust, I thought I would put it to you.  Do you know of any Scientific studies that look at whether extended co-sleeping causes dependency issues?   I am trying to finally put to rest the worries tht my husband has about extended co-sleeping.  All of the articles we have found 'poo-poo' the dependency question, without citing any hard evidence.  He says this means there isn't any.  I say it doesn't matter - my maternal instincts find this the most appropriate way of night-parenting our 20 month old.  He accepts this as enough reason to keep doing it, but it still doesn't truly mollify him - the slight anxiety continues. 

If you know of anywhere I could point him, I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM

Here is some info I dug up from one of my old Attachement Parenting lectures:

nCo-sleeping babies grow up with a higher self-esteem, less anxiety, become independent sooner, are better behaved in school, and are more comfortable with affection.  They also have less psychiatric problems.

P. Heron, “Non-Reactive Cosleeping and Child Behavior:  Getting a Good Night’s Sleep All Night, Every Night,” Master’s thesis, Department of Psychology, University of Bristol, 1994.

M. Crawford, “Parenting Practices in the Basque Country:  Implications of Infant and Childhood Sleeping Location for Personality Development” Ethos 22, no 1 (1994): 42-82.

J. F. Forbes et al., “The Cosleeping Habits of Military Children,” Military Medicine 157 (1992): 196-200.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

User Tag List