calcium supplements? Multi supplements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2011, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have been trying to figure out what to do about supplements for a while. I saw Dr Sear vitamins in the store tha other day so I thought I would you! Should I give vitamins to my 21/2 year old? Our Ped says no because most food is enriched. But most of the food we eat is not enriched. I am wondering too about calcium. She eats some yogurt and occasionally cheese (and no leafy greens!). She eats a few veggies. She eats lots of fruit. We eat a fair amount of eggs and grains, mostly rice, barley (flour) and wheat and rye. She also eats almonds, maybe pine nuts.

What do you think? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Multivits are not needed for most kids. If give them to very picky eaters (yours doesn't seem to qualify) or very low weight kids (due to picky eating, not genetics) and to special needs kids.  Calcium is rarely needed, until someone is on a dairy free diet.  Getting two servings of a food with calcium daily is usually enough for a young child, and 3 or 4 servings for a teen.

I do like to supplement everyone with a fish oil of some sort of omega 3, Vitamin D (around 1000 IU daily), and a fruit and veggie supplement (there are a variety to choose from).

User Tag List