DTaP Vaccines and Dairy Allergy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Bob,

First let me thank you for everything you do!

My 19 month old daughter has a dairy allergy. She was diagnosed at 3 months old, two days after her first vaccination (DTaP) when I found blood in her stool. At 12 months old, her pediatrician suggested that she had probably outgrown the allergy and to try giving her yogurt. She experienced facial swelling within seconds of exposure. I did some research and found that DTaP is cultured in casamino acid which is a derivative of casein, and that lots of the vaccine have tested positive for milk protein in tests at the Cleveland Clinic. The same study, and a few others, found that the DTaP vaccine may actually cause dairy allergy, and that in some cases children with dairy allergy have had sever allergic reactions immediately after receiving the vaccine. Needless to say, I am extremely concerned about continuing the series of DTaP vaccinations. She has only has two doses of the vaccine at 3 and 6 months. What would you suggest in this situation? Also, Are there any other vaccines that I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 2 Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know if any other vaccines have dairy in them.  I agree with your concern though, and I would avoid any more DTaP vaccines. Now that your baby is older, pertussis isn't dangerous. Tetanus is very rare, but if you want to give 1 tetanus booster in the teen years you can look into that at that time. I don't see much risk in skipping the DTaP vaccine from now on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page