tetanus protection - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-08-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

dr bob

i am thinking about not completing the dtap series unless my child needs it to receive tetanus protection. he has had 4 dtap shots at 2, 4, 7, and 20 months. he is now 4. how many dtap shots does it take for a child to have tetanus immunity? how many years later (after the last necessary dtap to get tetanus immunity) would a child need a tetanus booster?

bec the cdc requires 5 dtaps and then another tdap at 12 i am confused as to which shots are actually providing the tetanus protection and which are providing boosters (although i know some of these are boosters for pertussis..just don't know which). i can't seem to find this info anywhere.

also, does the plain tetanus vax have the same serious side effects as dtap that you list in your book or are they different bec there are less components in the shot?

thanks for your help.

#2 of 2 Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

See the post before this one.  only 3 tetanus doses are needed for full protection.  The DTaP and Tdaps are given mainly for pertussis boosting.  I'd say that the severe neurologic side effects of plain tetanus can be just as severe and DTaP, since many of those are due to tetanus component.  BUT some reactions are due to the pertussis part.  We don't exactly know which is which.  But the fussiness, swelling, and fever may be more likely due to the pertussis part. So, your 4 DTaPs should give reliable tetanus protection for at least 10 years since the last dose.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page