Egg allergy, MMR and measles outbreak - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Sears,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.  Much appreciated!

My 13 month old son has an egg allergy.  We are in the process of having allergy testing done, but until we know the severity of the allergy our family doctor has advised us not to administer the MMR vaccine.

Typically I would not be concerned about my son missing this shot as it has been my understanding that measles is very rare.

However, the province of Quebec is having a massive outbreak (750+ cases) and I'm not confident that this outbreak won't spread (we are in the next province over).  My son is in daycare so he has a lot more exposure than I would like.

My question for you is this:  is an adult booster for MMR ever warranted?  My husband and I are both in our thirties and were vaccinated on schedule based on the reccomendations of the time.    Would we be protecting our son if we got the shot or exposing him to unnecessary risk because of the (small) chance of the live vaccine shedding?  There is so much contradictory information out there that it is hard to know what to believe.

Thank you very much for your help.

babyf.gifborn 25 September 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The risk of viral shedding is so low that I wouldn't worry about it. I do agree that the egg allergy is a valid reason to skip the MMR. Adults don't tolerate the MMR vaccine very well - a high rate of autoimmune type of reactions, especially arthritis in women.  So, I usually don't recommend MMR.  Measles isn't common amoung adults anyway, so I don't think you'd be helping your child by vaccinating yourselves.

By the way, the NEW and updated version of The Vaccine Book just came out, and it includes a whole chapter on Canadian vaccines and diseases, including details on each available brand in Canada to help you make sure your child is getting the brands with the least amount of certain chemicals.

User Tag List