Help with my picky eater - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I am writing because I have a question and concerns about my picky eaters.  We are vegetarians, and for the majority of ds life, he is 10, he ate everything pretty well.  When he turned 9 he was dx with epilepsy and was put on an aed, Stavzor.  It changed his eating habits dramatically.  All of the sudden all he wanted to eat was grilled cheese sandwiches and hardly any fruit or veggies.  Plus he decided he does not like many veg proteins except processed deli slices and homemade chickpea cutlets.  He was hungry all the time.  Now, we are on a different aed, tegretol, and ds does not crave grilled cheese and he is not constantly hungry, but he is still a picky eater.  He never got his appetite back for the foods we normally eat and that he used to enjoy in the past.  His crankiness about food has effected his dd (8), who eats more than he does, but not as well as ds did before the medication.  She is more likely to reject food without trying because ds has decided he does not like it any more.  When we talked to the neurologist about it, he seemed to indicate that this was an age related issue and not related to the aeds.  I am really concerned both kids imbalanced in what they are eating.  What can we do to encourage them to expand their range of foods again?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM

You pose a very important question.  My primary strategies and creative ideas in this area mainly apply to younger kids and toddlers.  When the kids are older, it's a lot tougher.  The main thing that I've seen work in these older kids is to include them in the shopping and picking foods out, grow a back-yard garden together, read story books about the various food groups and eating healthy so they understand WHY they should eat certain foods, and try not to put pressure on them. 

#3 of 3 Old 11-23-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your ideas and we will try to further include the kids more in the making and learning about food.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page