Polio vaccine questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Sears- Thank you so much for having this forum and taking the time to answer questions. I was wondering what your opinion is on the polio vaccine. Do you feel this is one of the more important vaccines and is it one that you recommend? Have you experienced any reactions or problems from this vaccine? What is your opinion about the ingredients in the vaccine? Do you feel that it could cause potential problems in the future? Sorry for all the questions. I felt this was one of the more important vaccines until I read how it's made and now I'm torn with what's best to do. I read your book and am waiting for the new version to arrive and was wondering if your thoughts changed on this vaccine.

I've read that there hasn't been a case in over 30 years and that that case was due to the oral vaccine. Do you feel that it's possible for it to be brought to the U.S. by immigrants from countries where it still does exist? I live in a state with a high number of people from a country where polio still exists and that travel back and forth to that country frequently.

Thank you so much again for your time. I really appreciate it.

#2 of 3 Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 AM

I rarely, if ever, see reactions to this vaccine.  I would say, though, that the risk of catching polio here in the U.S. is pretty much zero, even with people traveling here all the time. 

I do agree, though, that the only strange thing about the vaccine is how it's made.  As a doctor, it is one of the routine ones I give in my office.  So, I don't know what more I can share on this.

#3 of 3 Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply Dr. Sears. I appreciate your time.

Tags
Bob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page