Flouride toothpaste for kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Dr. Sears.

My son is 26 months old. We found out when he was 13 months old, that he was prone to tooth decay, we did plenty of things to try and cure the decay, all with no avail. I continued breastfeeding through receiving advice to stop, eventually at 23 months, there was nothing that could be done to save his teeth, (they had started to get infected) we ended up seeing 3 different dentists to avoid general anestesia but no one in our area would do anything but. To make a long story short, we went through with it, he now has 4 less teeth and 2 capped. With no decay as of right now. But I have been brushing his teeth every night with a "kids pro-namel" toothpaste. We are so afraid that it will return, and using this just makes us feel better I guess. Of course I use the tiniest amount, just a trace on his toothbrush, but it does foam up still, and he doesn't quite get the point of spitting, he thinks it tastes good, so he swallows.

So I guess my question is, is this small amount of flouride each day safe for him?? Should we discontinue until he can spit properly? Have we done any damage in the last 3 months that we've been doing this?

Thank you for taking time in your busy day to help!

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fluoride is such a controversy. My basic advice is to avoid fluoride toothpaste until a child is old enough to spit most of it out. A xylitol toothpaste would be helpful.

Tags
Bob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page