Where There's One Severe Food Allergy There's Always Another? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When my baby was 4 months old he was exclusively breastfeeding and got severe welted hives frequently. Later I noticed it happened directly after every time I ate fish. To be sure of my suspicion... while still exclusively breastfeeding... I did a 'control test' and I ate fish and waited for reactions in my baby. Sure enough, the hives returned… directly after my meal of salmon. The hives appeared within a few hours, many in number and were so largely welted they left bruises over most of my baby's limbs, face and torso. The Pediatrician seemed indifferent about my findings and suggested I just 'avoid fish'. The allergist does not seem concerned either and did not advise avoidance of any other foods. Is it wise to avoid other foods such as shell fish as well? Also, does having a fish allergy mean there is an increased risk of allergy to other foods such as peanut butter? My baby is now over one year and I'd like to attempt to give some of the foods that are considered high on the list of allergenic foods and would appreciate your thoughts. Where there's one allergy... is there sometimes, usually or always... another severe allergy?  Thanks, Joie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, there isn't a likelihood of other allergies, except for shellfish - I'd avoid shellfish for at least a few years. But I would say that other potentially allergic foods would be okay to try.

Tags
Bob

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page