Ear infections--are antibiotics necessary? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

I was just wondering what the current thinking is on ear infections.  I had been told a few years ago by my pediatrician that nearly all ear infections in babies/toddlers are viral, and that antibiotics are not only not necessary, but not appropriate, and that the baby's immune system would not learn how to deal properly with ear infections if antibiotics were always given.  Our pediatrician even said that he thought that in most (but not all) cases, antibiotics weren't even necessary for bacterial ear infections.

Everything I had read a couple of year ago seemed to indicate that pediatric ear infections are no longer automatically treated with antibiotics.

But one of my colleagues came to work last week saying that his 1-year-old has his first ear infection, and "of course," is now on antibiotics.

Have things changed back again?  At what point is it appropriate to prescribe antibiotics for an ear infection? Or, conversely at what point is it inappropriate to prescribe antbiotics for an ear infection?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You are right, the AAP says no antibiotics for mild or early moderate ear infections. That hasn't "changed back".  I find that Meullin garlic oil ear drops works GREAT and I rarely need ABX for ear infections anymore.

Tags
Bob

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page