self soothing strategies for 12 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Hi, I will try to be as concise as possible.

my son turned 12 month 2 weeks ago. he (in my eyes) excels in all areas.....he is a "high needs" baby with sleep issues.i nurse to sleep and was thinking of night weaning but feel this may be too much for him because not only will i not be offering breastmilk, i am also expecting him to sooth himself back to sleep. how do i give him skills first, to feel comfortable to fall back to sleep without the breast?

if you want more background info:

we want to have another baby and can only get pregnant through icsi. we were hoping to try again in july. we moved the date to september, now we are thinking november. as you know babies have to be weaned at least a month ahead.

#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a tough situation. REalistically, your toddler's nursing needs won't subside any time soon. High need night-nursers typically are the toughest around 15 months.  So, things aren't going to get any easier soon. With a child like this, I don't think that self-soothing is a possibility for a while. I understand the desire to get another baby going, but I would suggest that weaning from night-nursing at this point would be pretty tough right now, or any time soon. However, I have had some families successfully night wean at this age and situation. BAby would cosleep with dad only - you would have to be out of the nighttime picture. For some babies and nursing, out of sight is out of mind. YOu'd nurse during the day. Then day-wean at whatever point you need to. However, I must warn you that prematurely weaning a high-need baby may not be good for the baby's emotional well-being. YOu should balance this against the need for having the next baby soon. Perhaps a longe space between the two kids?  Up to you.

#3 of 3 Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

there's no easy way to teach a high need baby to self soothe at this age. most won't until they are a few years old. i don't have any short answers for you on this, sorry.

Tags
Bob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page