Is this reasonable as a vaccine schedule? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dr. Sears,
I have a 15 month old daughter who, at this time, has received no vaccines. My current plan is to wait until she hits puberty and have her MMR and chicken pox titers drawn, and if they are negative, give her those vaccines at that time. I was also considering giving her a meningites vaccine if, when she reaches college age, she chooses to live in a dorm. Other than that, I had not planned on giving her any other vaccines. I have many people in my and my husband's family with severe neurological and immune system disorders and while I realize the current belief is that vaccines will not cause these conditions, it seems to be recognized that if a person has certain genetic predispositions, environmental factors such as vaccines may make the person more susceptible to some of these illnesses. Would this be a reasonable course of action given these circumstances or could you offer a better plan? I'm interested in doing the absolute bare minimum without putting her at risk for future long term complications should she happen to be exposed to a vaccine preventable disease in adulthood.
Thank you for your time.
#2 of 2 Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

for the meningitis vaccine, I suggest waiting until 16 years - then you only need one dose (I explain why in the book). As for MMR, the thing is, autoimmune side effects become more of a risk after puberty.  So, for people getting an MMR, I suggest before puberty begins, or at the least near the beginning of puberty (meaning, when you start to see breast buds). BUT, getting an MMR isn't THAT important, since the diseases are so rare (and you can see how that's going in 10 years).  Rubella is especially rare, and I don't consider it risky to grow up without immunity.  Same with chickenpox - now that you can take an anti-viral med to reduce the severity of the disease, I don't consider it risky to grow up chickenpox-susceptible.

Tags
Bob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page